Wednesday, April 22, 2020

Markings, By C.R. Gibson

I don't really know why, but I quit using these.  Maybe because I could not find them locally. I originally used these and Piccadilly for almost everything, plain old journalling, ham radio, work, travel, and in my garage.  I liked to get a new one of these and a matching pocket size every time I went on a trip, especially a business trip since they have a business executive look.  Since I was in Engineering I liked to have something nicer than a steno pad which I used to use for general notes.
Here's a link to C. R. Gibson.

I never knew of this company until I came to Kalamazoo. Here's a link to more information.


Very little feathering if any.

Ghosting is about the same as Piccadilly, but I could not find any bleed through on the page under this one, even with the fine nib Phileas.

Measures .00039" which makes it 20# or 75gsm. Those are typically .004 inches thick.

Typecast courtesy of my 1969 Olympia SM9 with Professional Elite typeface.

Matching A5 and pocket size.  The big one has 240 pages and the small one has 192.  Both are Smyth sewn and lay flat, have marker ribbons and elastic closures as well as a pocket on the inside rear cover.  Very nice notebooks for the price.  I've found the small one as cheap as $3 something and the large one for around $5.00 when they are on special prices.
I think I purchased this one in 2016 when we were traveling for my job interviews since most of the notes are of our travels and my thoughts on various employers.

There is still about 75% of the book unused. I will keep it for our next trip. I never used the pocket one. 

I buy notebooks based on price and quality. Many times I will choose a cheaper price over a more expensive notebook even if the more expensive is better quality.  I go for practical and utility more than fancy.

If there is bleed through on a notebook I use it with pencil and move on to a different brand when it is time for a new one.  I prefer those made in the USA or Europe, but they are getting harder to find or more expensive or both.

What amazes me is that many others on the Fountain Pen Network also find they like the less expensive notebooks over expensive ones if they work with a fountain pen.  The general criteria seem to be minimal to no feathering and no bleed through.

Audio level on the video is a bit weak.

4 comments:

  1. Interesting. I’ll have to check them out. Do they come in dot grid that you know of.

    I like your typeface. I have the same on my SM3.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are made with plain (blank), dot, and quad ruled pages.

      Delete
  2. Loved the video Bill, takes one right back in time! I have quite a few half used notebooks around also 😊 Your header on first typewritten page is fabulous! Stay safe both of you ✨

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a Markham which I bought at Staples 3 or 4 years ago. It was March and they had this table with all current year diaries and calendars, all priced at 45 cents each. I found one Markham notebook, and said this one too? The clerk replied "all of them." I am using it for my passwords, CD reminders, anything I don't want to lose track of. My only complaint: the elastic strap has stretched out. I've tied it in a knot, but it is very inconvenient. I have added 5 or 6 Avery Tab Dividers, which I really like. They have a large, heavy clear plastic adhesive square which strengthens the page.

    ReplyDelete