Thursday, April 16, 2020

Leuchtturm1917

This is a ruled journal, but also available in dot, quad, and plain pages, and probably the most colors of any brand. Leuchtturm1917
These have a nice tight  closure band, and not shown is the two marker ribbons.  One is the same color as the cover and the other striped.



Using the same pens as before I found the page to be nice to write upon. However I don't know if it was the paper or the nib of the second Waterman that prevented it from working. I suspect the nib since Waterman nibs can be a bit stubborn, especially with Noodler's Bulletproof inks. Ink takes a while to dry on this paper; note the smudging of the Shaeffer ink. This was written about a minute before it was scanned and the scanner smudged it.

I was disappointed at the amount of bleed through even for non-fountain pens, and pencil.


The thin paper is also disappointing. Thinner than Moleskine at .0036 inches. At least thickness is the same on all the pages measured.

I really like the preformatted T.O.C.  too bad the rest of the journal does not measure up.

Predate line and prenumbered are real nice addition, but not enough for me to spend the extra money to get more of these.

I really liked the labels. It would be nice to have a shelf of journals all with the same spine label format.

Typecast sent from my 1953 HHP. 
I was disappointed with this journal.  First thing I noticed was it came from Taiwan.  I thought that might put it a notch above Piccadilly which is made in China, but not so.  I don't like expensive journals that don't give me a big bang for my buck.

I first saw one of these when one of the fellows had one at one of our book store typewriter gatherings (now on hold because of stay at home orders and the virus).  It looked like it would be a nice journal. I especially liked the page format with the date and numbers.  Neither of these are killers for not buying a notebook. I've been manually numbering the pages and adding my date to an entry from way back when I was in school and all we had (at least in a small coal mine town) was the famous three ring binder or a spiral wound binder.
Later I graduated to Composition books.

I did some scanning of this journal and set it aside until it was time for this review which is not all that much of an objective review yet, is it not that I should or should not state my likes/dislikes and why?

I do these reviews without any outline or draft. I should really work from at least an outline, but I did not start that way.  For this I don't want to change.

When I get through all the notebooks I review I'll do a summary that will be more organized with advantages and disadvantages of both.  Again, these will be my view as I know others will have different views on some of the same brands of notebooks.

I know many readers of the blog as well as some locals who love Moleskine. I also know some who run from them instead of to them. That's fine. I used to run into burning buildings and think nothing of it. I still would if I were still in the FD.

I also know some readers and locals who do not journal. Some use plain old pads. Others use different forms of notebooks, and still others use only their PC.

What do notebooks, fountain pens, typewriters, and other methods of writing have in common? We all have our favorite.

Since I posted this
 
...and now for some news…

For all those interested: Adwoa is back!

Check out Retro tech Geneva with the link on my bloglist.

10 comments:

  1. So, I am surprised your experience. I’ve been using these for while and like them. I also found them fountain pen friendly. I do know that Noodlers has a reputation for bleed through. I think it could bleed through concrete. I experience ghosting, but that doesn’t bother me. Oddly enough, my favorite pens are made in Taiwan. May as that’s why they work so well for me. 😂

    On another note. I love that letterhead you use. Is that something you print to your paper? I want some!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a nice fountain pen from Taiwan, but chose not to ink it. I get too many inked at the same time I don't use them enough and the nib dries making it a chore to clean.

      I should have inked one of my medium nib Waterman pens with Florida Blue ink (now Serenity Blue) since it is a popular ink, and a real test for feathering and bleed through or ghosting.

      I have the least problems with Noodler's inks. Some of the others show through about the same. What amazed me is most of my notebooks don't bleed through until I use a medium nib pen. These and Moleskine do with a fine nib.

      I get the letterhead on Ebay from a fellow in Canada who makes all kind of reproduction letterhead, and his prices are reasonable (although it's gone up since I last purchased). I copy it when I want to use it, and I type on the copy.

      Delete
    2. My pens are TWSBI. One has a fine point and the other is broad. I like really wet inks because of the way they flow. Did you get a chance to look into Michael Jacks’ videos. He explores all sorts of papers and how they take inks of many varieties.

      Thanks for the tip on the letterhead.

      Delete
    3. I've got to watch the videos. I used to do a lot with inks, papers, and nibs when I was more active with the Fountain Pen Network.

      Delete
  2. Yay! Adwoa's back! :D
    (well, I already knew, because I click in date order)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought anyone who followed her blog would see it popped to the top of their blog list.

      Delete
  3. I used one of these a few years ago and think I really liked it, though I don't recall the details.

    By the way, Leuchtturm means lighthouse.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like so many features of this notebook, but I don't like the thin pages that bleed so much. For a regular fine tipped pen or pencil they'd be fine or only using odd numbered pages. For me using every other page and the high price puts it near the bottom of my like list since I like using fountain pens with nice notebooks.

      Delete
  4. I love that paperhead Bill 💙 I still haven't had a chance to look for that special pen just for me.. as soon as we can get back to shops.. or I guess I could look online, any suggestions? Happy weekend to you both ✨

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bought mine from Amazon or Jet Pens only because I looked for it in every office supply store, Target, and Walmart, and many other stores locally. I like it better than the Pilot G2 or the Uni Signo 207 series. Like fountain pens we all find a favorite. Sorry I do not recall which on line retailer. I get most of my pens and pencils from Jet. When out of stock there I go to Amazon.

      Delete