Thursday, June 13, 2019

Remington Noiseless 6

This is before any cleaning when I picked it up from the book store.


These typewriters are a mechanical work of art.  These levers operate the thrust type slugs. Adjustment is critical so the slug barley touches the platen, but presses the ribbon hard enough against the paper to leave an impression of the character on the type slug. I was not about to take these apart to polish them.  I cleaned them as best I could.  If this were my typewriter I may have taken them apart to polish and reassemble just for the challenge -- after I got all the repairs caught up.

An example of one of the spool hubs.

Top after cleaning.  There is a cover missing between the front cover and rear cover that also acts as a type bar guide.

All clean and as sparkly as I could make it.

The key top rings were quite dingy and did not shine at all before I cleaned and buffed them with jeweler's rouge.

I wish I had a before image of this side.  I thought the paint was clear coated and the clear coat was coming off.  This side was a killer to get the paint cleaned and shine again.  The years of nicotine hardened all over the typewriter did not help either.  When I do not own the typewriter I do not get real aggressive cleaning paint as I do not want to do more harm than good.  Cleaning a machine owned by someone leaves no room for errors.

This side shows some hardened residue from a sticker?  What ever it is I managed to get the area cleaned a little better.  Again, I did not want to get overly aggressive cleaning and cause damage to the paint making it worse than leaving a bit of residue.  If it were my typewriter I may have opted for an entire repaint when time permitted.


Type slugs after cleaning

According to the Typewriter Database this machine was made in 1928




This typewriter, along with the KMG can be seen at Kazoo Books
All good things take time is because I have many many many digital files to review for typecasts I started since the 2018 - 2019 hoilday season.  I have image files from my phone and 3 different digial imagers.  Most of the files are sorted by typewriter manufacturer and model. Some are not.  The ones I planned to post on are missing.

I have 2 posts on replacement feet from Steve Dade.  He does excellent work, and the feet are exactly like the originals.  I have some on a Corona 3, Remington Model 5 Mill, and the Royal 10.  I will also be getting some for my Underwood Universal Mill and another Universal and a Champion.

I started a post about the feet on the Remington Mill, but those image files are among the missing.  They may be on my other PC since they are not on my server or present PC.

I have 3 Brother JP3 machines to post.  There are Underwood 3 bank. Olivetti Lettera 22 and 32 typewriters that had similar problems to what are posted on Myoldtypewriter

Finally I have a Royal 10 that I started to clean last year before I got the KMG & Noiseless 6 from the book store.

And I have some software work to do to hopefully be able to use Word Press without issue.  Quickest way I see is add another server and maybe a direct portal to cyberspace.

3 comments:

  1. ooh, you gonna convert over to self-hosted WP? That would be a good thing to document, if you do. (:

    So many half-done posts in my queue. I should bite bullet and push one out today. You inspire! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. You did an excellent job of cleaning up the Remington Noiseless 6 Bill, whoever owns it should be very pleased. Sounds like you have your hands full of projects at the moment, good luck ☺
    P.s. I knew you would enjoy the Aviation Museum.

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are such neat machines - the internal mechanics are a wonder. I ran across one once in a thrift shop. It was all gummed up, so I was unable to determine whether it was indeed "noiseless".

    ReplyDelete