Sunday, May 3, 2020

Rhodia A5 Notebooks

Rhodiarama on left and Webnotes on right.

Sorry for the usual typos. One day I'll not make any.

I generally don't choose soft cover notebooks or journals larger than pocket size, but I do like this one even better than the hardbound.  You'll see why later.


Both this Webnotes as well as the Rhodiarama have a soft-touch to the texture of the  covering on the cover, but this one leaves a lot to be desired of a quality cover.


This paper is nice to write upon with any pen I tried, even pencil.  Very smooth.  I meant shadowing as there was no bleed through for any pen used, even the sharpie.

As seen, very little shadowing.

0.0045 inches thick paper.

This is why I'll not be buying any more of these.  The weird feel to the covers and they arrive damaged which says to me they will be easily damaged if carrying them around. 

My trusty Barcelona made Olivetti Lettera 32. It has a nicer touch than my Italian made one.
As with typewriters all notebooks have their quirks.  For Rhodia it is the covers on the Webnotes one. For the extra price it is not worth buying compared to the soft cover Rhodiarama.  Both are casebound which makes them a good choice, and the Clairefontaine paper is hard to beat.

Both notebooks lay nice and flat and have ruled pages with line spacing of about 7mm.  There are plenty of choices from Rhodia, plain paper, dots, lined, and quad ruled.

There are also plenty of sizes from pocket to large and assortment of binding styles.  Overall a very nice product, and much better for the price than Moleskine.

4 comments:

  1. I really do like that Clairefontaine paper, great for fountain pen and typewriter too (I'm referring to the letterwriting paper).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks again Bill. I’ve been looking at these for a while, mostly for the paper. I recently got a bottle of TWSBI ink and am really enjoying it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Bill, I hope you and your Mrs. M are well. The Rhodia paper is very nice, but yes, those spongey feeling orange covers do show wear and tear pretty easily.
    Moleskine paper is nice too, but I recall one A5 notebook years ago which was fountain pen friendly one every SECOND page only. Very annoying. Each alternating page seemed 'waxy' and the fountain pen nib would not distribute any ink no matter how hard or soft you wrote.
    I found this to be the case with just this one notebook, so I'm inclined to think that it may have been a batch issue, perhaps.

    Stay safe!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I do quite like the soft covered notebooks Bill, and I do really like the page ribbon and closure band to keep it all together. Love the colours of these two, very appealing ✨

    ReplyDelete