Monday, March 9, 2015

Another Typewriter Joins the Staff at Work

Thought is best to use some engineering paper since I was at work in the lab.
I was thinking of my SS when I typed SS.  I meant model S.

Under the sheet of styrofoam was a few sheets of high density foam and the entire machine was packed nicely with it too.  The basket was filled with balled plastic grocery bags and the entire machine stabilized in its foam encasement.  Excellent work.
The machine as it sits on the back section of my desk.  Also the H3k stored away in its house.
Dates to 1940

Wish mine had the fancy paper tray that Robert Messenger's has.  Mine needs some chrome too.
I really enjoy using my Underwoods.  They are the best, snappiest, fastest, easiest typewriters in my collection.

Our engineer intern now wants a typewriter.  I think I'll see what I can find on the to-be-repaired stack for him.  I know I have at least one repairable H3k.

I'll be sending this platen off to JJ Short when the other one comes back.  I could save a few dollars if I'd waited until I got this one. 

10 comments:

  1. That machine kinda looks like it should be exactly where it is. It seems to suit the colours of your workplace more. Perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was a well packed Underwood Bill, mind you it is older than me :) sounds like your collection is taking over!
    P.s. I did enjoy your take on spam today Bill :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That was a well packed Underwood Bill, mind you it is older than me :) sounds like your collection is taking over!
    P.s. I did enjoy your take on spam today Bill :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Since I date to 1948, I am feeling quite an affinity with your new machine. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sturdy looking beast!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That makes me smile. When I was an employee, I had typewriters delivered to my office because it was just easier to be available to take receipt. Of course there was the added benefit of the new machines coming in under the radar of the other half.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Somehow typewriters arriving at work does calm the Mrs. a bit.

      Delete
  7. This model looks so beefy and brawny! I'm glad that you are inspiring others at work to dream of their own typewriters.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now the plant manager wants one. I guess I will repair 2 common ones and take them to work.

      Delete