Sunday, October 4, 2026

From Typewriters to Cameras



 I got this idea from Ted Munk's blog.

 


 

This camera has a zoom lens that will cover 28mm to 560mm, 35mm equivalent.  This give me about 50mm longer zoom than my Olympus Stylus with the auxiliary lens, but less aperture. 


Olympus Stylus 1 replaced my Panasonic Lumix LF-1 soon after arriving in Kalamazoo. It has a constant maximum aperture of F2.8 which makes it a great birding camera when used with the T-con1.7x for 510mm at f2.8


I took the SX10 to one of my favorite places in the city, yes, this is in the city.

OK, at the edge of the city. 


Asylum Lake is a preserve of 274 acres owned and maintained by Western Michigan University.

Here is a link for more information: Asylum Lake 


I hesitated to encircle the swans, but I knew no other easy way to show where the swans were swimming and preening from my vantage point atop the stairs.

There are 2 paths around the lake from the small lake to the large lake.  A path encircles the lake and can be accessed by following the path from the small lake or taking the stairs.  I like the stairs just to be different.  From atop the stairs at the shore it is about 300 yards to the swans.  I did not have my rangefinder with me so it is a best guess.

 

This is from the same vantage point as the not zoomed image before the image of the stairs.  560mm +I think 20x digital zoom.

I noticed this swan just to the right of the group in the image above. It is not centered, but shot from the hip so to speak.  I really did not take time to properly frame the swan.


Some of the area around the lake



Since blogger is rearing its ugly head again and not letting me get rid of the Add caption on the typecast pages I will continue with a few more images

This little feller came out to greet me and stood for a few minutes letting me get a photo

And this fellow was rummaging around the ground cover plants

There'll be more photos and reports on the Canon SX-10 is.  It's a fun camera and cheap to acquire.  I got mine fully functional with a padded case for a whopping $20.13 shipped.

I've been playing with it in various situations and will post more later.

 

Best I can find is this was made about 1967 or 1968, all plastic, types fine.


 





No comments:

Post a Comment