Saturday, August 4, 2018

Back to Typecasting



My scanner scans on a slight bias in one direction and the lens distortion in the opposite direction.

One thing I noticed when I first starting typing on this Mill is my rhythm and touch must me consistent to get an even density in the typeface impressions.
I never noticed similar using Remington oblique strike typewriters at any of our Type-Ins.

This was going to be my typewriter of choice for this evenings Type-In in Ann Arbor, but we will not be attending.  The cost of travel and lodging is too high being too close to our daughter's wedding.  I have a great paying job, but too little savings for what is required since only moving here a bit longer than a year ago.

Yes!  I could have forgone purchasing a Mill.  I chose not to delay my purchase this time.  Had this been the expensive Underwood WU that is on Ebay, yes.  Had it been any of the more common Mills, yes. 

I only wish a previous owner would not have cleaned the typewriter because they removed the U. S. Navy decal.  There is just something special at having the decal.  I've seen the decal missing on Universals and Arrows too.  I'd rather a not so clean Mill with the decals in place instead of a clean Mill without the decals.

Now I have about 60 or 70 typewriters to digitally image and place on The Typewriter Database.

14 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thank you. That is what I thought when I first saw it. When it arrived it was even nicer.

      Delete
  2. looking closer at the letterhead; I'm unsure that is a Hammond shown.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's not. The Telegraph Typewriter is a very rare bird, none known to exist as far I know.

      Delete
  3. That type of Remington has such lovely flowing curves.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very cool mill. Enjoy your new position!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely to catch up on your news Bill, you have had a busy time but I can tell how excited you are about your new purchase. That's quite a healthy collection you have there. Shame about the missing decal, is there no way to replace it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Only with an accurate 1:1 photo of an original. Then I can make a decal.

      Delete
  6. You amaze me! 60-70 typewriters? Wow!!! Makes me think back to my college days when my first mother-in-law would let me use her Selectric electric typewriter to type my papers. I hunted, pecked, and ripped out page after page, and then she'd come in her office and offer to type it for me (she was a court transcriber and could type about a million words a minute with virtually no errors...didn't take me long to give up and hand the task over to her!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Any idea what the "Self Starter" key does?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a 5 space tab key. Generally used at the beginning of a paragraph, it can also be used within a line or document for indentation or column. I don't have any idea how or why Remington came up with that name for it.

      Delete
  8. Hi Bill hope all is well with yourself and Mrs M, take care ✨

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great article..I am looking so forward to your blogcomment and
    I love your page on your post.. That is so pretty..
    ดูหนัง

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your blog was absolutely fantastic!
    Great deal of great information & this can be useful some or maybe the other way.
    Keep updating your blog,anticipating to get more detailed contents thanks for sharing.
    หนังชีวประวัติ

    ReplyDelete