|Sent from my 1936 Underwood Universal|
|First I had to free all the legs from being painted fast and corroded hinges.|
|Typewriter in the case will get a new case.|
|Evidence of the legs being closed while the paint was still tacky, and the corrosion at the joints.|
|My go-to oil for all my typewriters so I thought I'd give it a try here (I'm one of those who do not like 3-n-1 oil (also from the WD-40 Co. as I understand)|
|Table with the typewriter mounted.|
|The spring clasp paper holder is a good place to keep the repro of the manual which really does match the model of this typewriter (Underwood Universal Touchmaster)|
|The completed desk, chair, and typewriter. I wanted to see if the lid would be able to stay on the table. I would not type with the lid attached, it puts way too much stress on the hinges.|
|The chair (between $8 and $10 at Wal-Mart) seems the perfect height when matched to the table.|
|The typewriter most often seen with this table seems to be the Universal. (or t least they look like Universals) Mine though was made a few decades before the table was even invented.|
Next project will be to strip the paint from the legs, and clean the covers on the typewriter, and install a fresh ribbon. A previous owner, who by the evidence on the case, did not know how to paint. Good intentions to keep the case/table looking good, but gone about incorrectly. The entire case and table were heavily spray painted in glossy black. The legs were folded while the paint was still soft or tacky. Therefore I'm guessing the owner did not know how to re-extend the legs and along the way the seller did not know either, so I got it cheap. It arrived Thursday while I was finishing some work in the yard. I decided yesterday would be a good time to set it up.
When finally ready I found it to be quite sturdy. My only complaint is (ever since I first saw one) is that the table part should be on the right as that is the common place to put a copy stand. Perhaps William John Wade was left-handed.
There is more information in the 2 posts here