Monday, April 23, 2018

100 Years Old and Still Going Strong, Underwood No.5

Workbench was full with H3k machines so I used the table saw to clean the No. 5

I did a quick and dirty edit in GIMP to remove the original text (body of the letter) from the letterhead and printed it so I could at least use an Underwood letterhead. I need to work on this one and a Remington to make blank letterhead. My proof reading skill leaves a LOT to be desired. Notice the unmarked typos?

Working Underwood No. 5.

The Underwood No. 5 was ok to use when it first arrived if one could tolerate sticking type bars, a very sluggish carriage, and carriage shift that would not always return to lower case.

It did not take much work to get this working, and had I not been short on time I may have even swapped the platen with a better one that I have for a spare.  The spare still needs recovered, but it is not as hard as this one.


2 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh.. 100 years old Bill. This Underwood is officially an antique and deserves much respect! Still working too, is it definitely going with you to the type-in? Glad to hear all the typewriters in your collection get the love ☺

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sweet pickup - one of the very few standards that I keep hold of. (:

    ReplyDelete