Wednesday, October 16, 2019

October Typewriter Gathering at Kazoo Books

Typewriters and supplies Loaded and ready to go across town.

Everything is set and ready to go.

Sent from my 1967 Facit TP-2 Cubic Pica

Hayden's Olympia SM4
Hayden and I spent some time exploring his SM4 and working on a few minor issues with it.  I gave him a quick tour of its mechanics without removing the covers.  This is one of the nicest typing SM4s that I've used.

Hayden's Olympia SF
This SF had a wonderful touch to it. I may need to get one. I'm generally not a big Olympia fan, but this one typed as nice as my SM8. I could not out type it even though I did make several silly mistakes typing about how I miss being able to go to Herman Price's gathering.  One year I will make it.

Andy's Underwood 4 Bank
typical excellent Underwood typing action.  I very seldom find an Underwood I do not like.

Andy's Olivetti Lettera 33
This was the first Lettera 33 I typed on. It has a bit stiffer touch than my Lettera 32, but good enough that I'm going to look for one.

Andy's Olympia Splendid
This Splendid (or is it a Socialite?) was really fun to use also. Typed like a breeze.

One of my trusty Smith_Corona Skyriters
What can be said about the lowly Skyriter?  They just work.  I've yet to find one without a nice touch and typing experience. I guess that is why I have about 6 or 7 of them.  I like the stripes best.

I also took my Olivetti Lettera 22
This one recently came out of my shop after a good cleaning and a few repairs and carriage alignment.  Types nicer than my Taupe one that is from the 50s I think (round keys).  That one is a bit stiff.  So is my Italian keyboard red one of the same age as the taupe one.

My Facit TP-2
A Facit will put a Hermes 3000 to shame any day with the ease at which it types.  If not for the funky margin sets on these I would rate them better than the Hermes all around.  Hard to beat Hermes and Royals Magic Margin set system.

I was lamenting not being able to go to Herman's this year.

Hayden test typing my H3k Techno Pica.


Autumn is finally settled in.  First tree I've seen that dropped its leaves already.

A little farther down the path all the wild flowers are gone, and the scrubs are turning Colorado Aspen gold.

The milkweed pods have finally popped open.
I I visited one of my favorite places near my house, Wolf Tree Nature Preserve, and did a bit of digital imaging before going to the type in. All images were taken with my Olympus Stylus 1.  I was only there an hour or two enjoying the crisp fresh morning air relaxing. I seldom go out without the OMD or Stylus 1. Seems no matter where I go I find things to image.

As Autumn falls upon us we see signs of death all around. Plant death. In a way beautiful death.  Plants seem to have that unusualness of being beautiful as they spring from the earth in Spring and later show even more beauty as they mature and blossom. Finally at the end of their life they repopulate as their flowers and pods release the seeds for the next generation to bloom in 2020.

I have quite a few images over the past year from places around Kzoo. I thought to put more on this post, especially the nest or leaves hanging by a thread.  Maybe a digital image post or a blog for my photographic and digital imaging.
I've go to keep them separate as I still do a lot of film, especially when doing wildlife and birds. Digital is just way toooooo blasted slooooooooooooow.




7 comments:

  1. Excellent report, and really nice selection of machines! I'm surprised more people didn't take advantage of them. We gotta keep a couple crowbars handy at our type-ins, just to ensure nice rotation. Also, that nice little unlabelled Olympia is an SF-S.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You really do keep your typewriters in such a clean and excellent condition Bill, it's a pleasure to see them. Love your autumn shots.. do you really think digital is slower than film?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes.

      I never need to wait for my film cameras to be ready to use because they don't time out.

      None of my real cameras rely on batteries so they are always ready for a fast shot of a bird in flight or an animal on the move. Digital times out, or if set to stay on, the battery will die (even with the rear display off). do enough zooming with a zoom lens and batteries die fast. None of the manufacturers have seen fit to add a vibrating or other alarm (except a tiny corner icon) when the battery reaches minimum. The sudden death of a lithium battery is inherent in its chemistry. But if an icon can be used to monitor an alarm can be created, too.

      Changing lenses is slower. Lenses can be hot-swapped. Most manufacturers warn against that. It could damage the electronics, and to ensure a body recognizes the lens power needs to be cycled. Presently I only have one interchageable lens digital body so I change lenses often.

      Digital has higher ISO than my film cameras, but I very rarely ever need the high ISO of digital that generally raises noise levels. I'd rather have low ISO down to at least 25.

      Same with high shutter speed. In nearly 40 years of shooting I seldom needed a shutter speed faster than 1/1000, even at air shows.

      Autofocus in many situations is slower, or will focus off-center (I always use spot metering and center focus, but sometimes due to design it'll be off (Olympus uses the joystick arrows and they'll move the AF zone when bumped)

      Where does digital have an advantage? In burst mode. None of my film gear has a frame rate more than 5 f.p.s., but I've seldom needed it.

      I also like using the rear display as a waist level finder when I want to shoot at low angles. At all other times the display is off.

      Basically it amounts to a trade-off of when to use digital to its advantage and film at its advantage.

      Other than that I generally use full manual and my 35mm lenses and hope the battery is ok when I decide to shoot.

      More of my quick critique of digital vs film than a simple yes or no. Both have their place.

      Delete
    2. All true Bill.. in fact I was thinking just today as I took a few shots, there is actually a substantial amount of delay with my digital camera.

      Delete
  3. Nice report and what a great little herd of typewriters. I am off to Herman's jamboree this Saturday and will report on the doings. Try to make it there at some point.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Have a safe trip and plenty of fun at Herman's. If I ever go I need to find something for Mrs. M., at least the first time. I check places out to ensure she can get around due to her mobility issues.

    ReplyDelete