Sunday, October 27, 2019

A New Garage Typewriter From R.C. Allen



Things did not look good when I opened  the damaged box.

Things got even worse with the smashed knob and bent bail and other levers.

And even worse when the carriage would not move.


Why such a convoluted stand off is beyond reason. 12-28 stud to a .090" rod to a normal hex standoff threaded for a 5-40 screw.  I've seen tons of these used in radio and not this over complicated. 

I machined an old Bakelite knob to fit the original collar.

This is without any cleaning.  Before use I did blow out the dust with compressed air. No other cleaning was done. 

Finished.  Notice the line in the middle of the paper bail?  It marks the center of the carriage. I can just hear my high school typing teacher at the end of each class: "All right now class, don't for get to center your carriage and cover your typewriter."

Had to straighten the back, and I used regular hardware store 12-24 machine screws.

I really like the index scale. Absolutely no parallax error.


Garage typer ready to use.  I'll eventually have it on a better table, rack, or a work bench.  Iv'e always had a typewriter in my garage. In Florida it was one of my Royal HH typewriters. After moving to Michigan it was my spare Classic 12 until it found a new home.   Not having any room in the house for another full size typewriter this one will be my garage typewriter.

Looking on the Typewriter Serial Number Database I found this is a Model 600 made in 1953.
As usual I find things I don't like after I edit.  I did not see the shadow line on the left of the typecasts on the scan preview or file.  I also intended to proof and correct my typos.

I finished the typewriter and typed the typecast on Friday.  I'm a bit late posting.

The way this typewriter typed was a complete surprise.  I did not even need to clean it.  Even the majority of the slugs were not clogged with old dirt and ink.  The feet are also in great shape and quite grippy.  The black half of the ribbon had seen better days.

If there is one disadvantage to this typewriter it is an elite machine instead of pica.

Were these really made in Grand Rapids, Michigan? I cannot seem to find any history of it. There is mention of the company, and the building at 678 Front Ave., but nothing else.

8 comments:

  1. That RC Allen looks just battered - I am so glad that you were able to get it into typeable condition and now I am very curious about the surprisingly excellent typing experience. I have never typed on an RC Allen and will now look for one to try.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never typed on one of these until I got this one. If I don't hurry when I type the letters do not run together. I have a habit of typing faster than I should to maintain good rhythm. This typewriter is sensitive to going too fast. It did not jam, but as seen letters hit each others.

      Delete
  2. Oh wow Bill, you certainly brought this old beauty back from the almost dead. Hard to believe it is now a favourite, nice work ✨

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was very surprised at how good it types. It is not as silky sleek like my Adler Jr, but much better than most all of my collection. Construction is similar to a Royal HH, it is quite heavy; built like a tank.

      Delete
  3. Good restoration work! And I'm glad that you are enjoying the feel of your machine. Solid is right — they are very robust typewriters, and I like the looks of them, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Richard. I bought this because I noticed "Made in Grand Rapids Michigan" on it, and it had (but seller did not ship it) a nice emerald cover that was to be included. One of your comments on a tan one I was looking at a few months prior to my purchase of this one helped me decide on an R.C. Allen.

      Delete
  4. I keep hearing very good things about these. were I in the market for a Standard, I might look for a Tower labeling of the 600. Looks like you will enjoy it! (:

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice work. A typewriter with plenty of character!

    ReplyDelete