Friday, February 21, 2014

More on the Facit TP2


Thought I'd leave the alignment testing on the first part.  Looks like the upper case must be lowered a bit, but first I must make a wrench.  A 5.5mm ignition wrench is just a bit too big. I need to grind the outside down a bit or find one that is offset and grind a part of it.  I left it alone rather than have the screws move while typing if I did loosen the lock nuts or worse yet, strip the corners off of the nuts.

This is the Facit TP2 cleaned and I thought ready to use, but the left margin shifts because the platen can move latterally just enough to cause mis-alignment.  I think I can fit some thrust or wiggle washers on the right end.  Poorly designed.

One thing I of which I am certain, the typewriter companies did not make as many spelling and typing mistakes as I make.

Maybe when I am finished with the repairs it will type as good as it looks.  Then it really does type nice.  It is the mechanical deficiencies that bug me.

Readers of this blog may recall this one when it was covered in mildew or when it almost ended up on the scrap heap.  The SM4 and Socialite are the fastest Olypias I have.  Both have a great touch and action.  The SM9 comes close, but not quite.

6 comments:

  1. I do love that Olympia. Glad you saved it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those are both pretty nice. I too have a Facit in need of repair, so i'll keep an eye on your progress.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a month's worth of posts on repairs and just before I wrote this comment I found another problem. Most are fairly easy, but they keep on coming. Oooooohhh that sounds like one of the jingles from when I worked in radio :)

      Delete
  3. I have recently found FACIT typewriter. I presume it is TP2 model. Could you be so kind to inform me how many items were produced of this model? The typrewriter is in the leather case.

    Kind regards
    Alex

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think this is the only Unknown comment I ever posted. You do have a great question so I posted it.

      I do not know how many of any brand or model typewriter were made. Facits may be the most difficult to find information. Seems there is not much published that I could ever find.

      One thing I can say, I enjoy using mine. They have a really nice touch and are quite dependable unless they have been stored too long. The lubrication Facit used will seize over time. Once redone the machines work and work no matter if they get stored.

      Delete
  4. Thank you Bill M. It belonged to my grandfather who spend entire career as librarian. It brings me so much memories on the childhood and the sound of typewritter from his working room

    I may send photos if you want.

    With the best regards
    Alex

    ReplyDelete